Job title: Archivist, Expatriate Archive Centre, The Hague
Hours: 18 hours per week
Application deadline: 2 May 2021
Starting date: 1 June 2021
Applications including CV and motivation letter to be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, contact Kristine Racina (Director) at email@example.com.
The Expatriate Archive Centre (EAC) is an independent, non-profit foundation based in The Hague. It collects and preserves the life stories of expatriates worldwide for research.
The team includes a Director, an Archivist, an Assistant Archivist, a PR manager and an Office Manager. The EAC is supported by an enthusiastic team of volunteers and interns of different backgrounds, nationalities, and ages.
The EAC prides itself on offering a welcoming environment. It runs a range of programmes designed to help volunteers to develop their skills and competencies.
The Archivist reports to the Director of the EAC, who reports to the EAC Board members.
- manages the existing archive collection in accordance with archival standards and best practices, GDPR and other legal standards;
- enhances the growing digital and web archive collection following archival and technical requirements;
- continuously improves the existing collection management systems in line with evolving business needs; this includes e.g. definition of requirements for system configurations, implementation of changes together with IT-service provider;
- facilitates researchers;
- assists in attracting new material donors;
- supports projects to enhance and enrich the EAC, for example, workshops, information mornings and special projects;
- keeps up with developments in archiving standards and best practices, for example, through training or workshops;
- supervises the Assistant Archivist;
- works closely as a team with paid staff, interns and volunteers;
- supervises and trains interns and volunteers and provides them with the necessary written and oral guidance.
Qualifications and skills required:
- minimum three years work experience in the area of archiving and/or records management;
- experience in digital and web archiving, including long-term preservation;
- experience in use as well as functional management of collection management systems such as Adlib, Axiell Collections, AtoM;
- experience in further developing and improving a governance framework for records and archive management in the context of applicable legislation;
- experience in coordinating, training and supervising staff, volunteers and interns;
- fluency in English. Proficient knowledge of Dutch is preferred;
- ability to work independently, with strong attention to detail;
- problem-solving skills and project management ability;
- cross-cultural skills and expatriate experience or an affinity with expatriate life.